Rhapsody is a digital music service that lets you listen to whatever you want, whenever you want it. With online music stores, you pay for every track or album, but Rhapsody lets you listen to everything we’ve got for one low monthly price. Rhapsody was the first music subscription service on the market and remains the #1 music subscription service.
What We Did:
Sofmen founder architected and lead the development of all of the server-side elements of this cross platform digital media site that specializes in audio and specifically Internet music. Sofmen’s founder was the lead developer / architect on the Rhapsody platform and previously worked at Listen.com (the company that built the product) starting in the year 2000, thus pioneering the idea of a music subscription service existed in the company.
Details of our work:
- Architected all of the metadata backend
- Imported content (artist data, track publishing rights & permissions) into the Rhapsody systems
- Developed Billing and Commerce systems
- Engineered serving of all the metadata to the Rhapsody client.
- Subscription and membership systems.
- Full integration of Rhapsody and Real Networks.
- Developed the Rhapsody Music store which uses the Helix DRM.
- Developed the Rhapsody to Go service using the Windows Media DRM, allowing unlimited transfer of music to MP3 players.
- Helped with the launch of the last release Rhapsody 3.0.
- Sofmen was then engaged to develop a site scrape utility that allowed researching the publisher rights for the tracks by using an automated robot that will login into 6 different sites, perform search for the track, analyze the data retrieved from all the sites and generate a report.
Our Toughest Challenges:
- Reverse engineering websites and creating a robot that can scrape the sites, parse them and generate the results.
- Designing and developing the rule-based engine to analyze results gathered from multiple sites on the internet.
- Scaling the system to support millions of users.
- Developing and supporting a complex e-commerce system that was integrated with multiple partners.